Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Where are you from?

      How many times has someone asked you this question? My guess is....you lost count. It's a common enough question and the answers are just as common and usually consist of a single word answer. Whether we name the town,village,city,state or country of our birth the reply to such a request for information seldom involves much reflection or explanation. 
       Why is that? 
       Think about the question.....where are you from? Really. Not the name of the city you were born in or the state you grew up in. WHERE are you from? WHAT has helped shape you? 
      Why am I wondering about this you might ask........my daughter. My oldest daughter is a beautiful and brilliant young lady. I have always known this. Even though I never doubt these aspects of her life every now and then she does or says something that just reinforces my amazement and belief in her and the mark I KNOW she is leaving on this world. Today was no exception. 
     After doing her homework she came to me and asked me to proofread something she had written for English class. I read it and it literally sucked the air from me for a moment. Not in a bad way. It was beautiful....it is amazingly stunning. And I want to share it....share her and her beauty....with all of you. Enjoy.




Where I'm From


I am from the resevoirs
The winter snow and summer sun
I am from the happy laughing
I am from the dragonflies
The gladiolas in the yard.


I am from The Pumpkin Show and getting out of school
From Grandma Houston and Grandma Lutz
I am from the bedtime songs and simple lullabies
From you look just like your mom and look at those blue eyes
I am from the church songs
The puppet shows and Bible coloring pages


I am from the backs and forths
The ups and downs the all arounds
From the family gatherings
The holidays


I am from my family
Unique in every way
Never one quite like another
but all somewhat the same. 






No comments:

Post a Comment